Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My first day at BEA!

Well, I survived my first day at BEA! I have to admit that I was so nervous this morning that I thought I was going to throw up! Silly, but true. I've never gone into New York by myself before. In fact, I think I can count on one hand the number of times my family/friends have dragged me into the city, so going in alone was a big deal!

Found the ferry terminal without getting lost! Major coup, as I'm somewhat geographically challenged. Of course, once I disembarked, I turned the wrong way and wound up taking the scenic route to the main entrance. Lesson learned...turn left when leaving the terminal! *L*

The Javits Center is huge! I walked back and forth a few times as I couldn't find the room I wanted for the panel I wanted to attend. Finally found it! There's a wall dividing the food court from the other half of the building for some reason, so I had to go back upstairs, walk to the other end of the building, then back downstairs. Would have been nice if there were signs explaining this!

Went to the 7 x 20 x 21 presentation. They had an open bar beforehand, which was awesome! People were getting full bottles of beer, little teeny glasses of wine, or soda. I got a Coke. The presenters got 7 minutes to present 20 PowerPoint slides, with each slide up for no more than 21 seconds. Interesting premise, but some worked better than others. My favorite was about literary tattoos.

Stayed in the same room for the next panel, which was the Editor's Buzz. The place was packed and it was standing room only. Six editors presented their pick for the breakout titles of the year. Of the books presented, I think I'm most interested in Room by Emma Donaghue. It's about a mother and her son who are held captive in a single room. The editor loved the book, and compared it to The Lovely Bones and The Girls. Said they were all well written books about difficult subjects. I've read both of these and loved them, so want Room!

The other books mentioned were West of Here by Jonathon Evison, Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale, The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and Juliet by Anne Fortier. None of these were really up my alley, but I had to snag a copy of West of Here as the editor just raved about it! If someone who has been in the business over 30 years claims it's the best book he's ever read, I need to read it! Unfortunately, Room was gone before I could grab a copy, so will try to get one tomorrow. Lesson #2 - ARCs go fast! Now I know why so many people left before the last panelist was finished; they wanted their ARCs!

Have an early morning tomorrow, but had to finish my spreadsheet of autographings and events, then wanted to let you know how it went today. So excited that I'm going to see Rachel Vincent, Lauren Oliver, Richelle Mead, Gena Showalter, and James Dasher tomorrow! Actually, my spreadsheet is two pages long, but these are my must-sees. This is so cool! :D


6 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there with you girl! Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. Keep us posted on your adventures. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so beyond jealous right now! A) You're in NY. B) You're at BEA. C) A presentation on literary tattoos?! Did you get any pics? I LOVE lit tattoos! and D). Rachel Vincent and Gena Showalter!

    Want to trade places tomorrow? You can work my double and I'll go to the book signings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a blast! Wish I could tag along with you. Room sounds freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely understand about the feeling on going to NYC yourself. That will be me on Friday, as I make my way up to the Big Apple for the Book Blogger Convention. (Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you there?)

    Enjoy the rest of your time at BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat free books. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, as I really appreciated it! Leave me a link and I'll swing by to say hello!

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2014 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u