I am going to be offline for awhile due to a bionic upgrade (aka knee replacement), but should be back shortly. Please send good vibes and happy thoughts my way! more details

Friday, August 21, 2009

Book Review: Sucks To Be Me by Kimberly Pauley

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Mirrorstone (August 11, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0786952563
ISBN-13: 978-0786952564

Rating: 4/5
Source: Library


Book blurb:
Mina Hamilton's parents want her dead. (Or undead to be precise.) They're vampires, and like it or not, Mina must decide whether to become a vampire herself. But Mina's more interested in hanging out with best friend Serena and trying to catch the eye of the too-hot-for-high-school Nathan Able than in the vampire training classes she's being forced to take. How's a girl supposed to find the perfect prom date and pass third-year French when her mom and dad are breathing down her neck--literally?

My Review:
This was a fast, fun read about a teenage girl who must make the life changing decision of whether to become a vampire or not. Mina is a very likable girl with a good sense of humor who doesn't make this decision lightly.

I liked Mina's lists and journal entries scattered throughout the book, as well as the little 'myths vs truth' snippets at the start of each chapter. Didn't really care for the oh-so-hip name dropping here and there as it seemed a little forced and unnatural, but that was my only quibble with the story.

Her best friend Serena plays a large part in the story, as well as forever-crush Nathan. Then there are the other vampire candidates she meets in Vampire 101. Okay, it's not really called that, but bet you didn't know they had classes you needed to take before you turned! All in all, this was a lighthearted, funny teen romance that just happens to include vampires. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because it was a cute, well-done story that I think would make a great beach read. (Plus, I really, really liked the title!)

Buy it from BN.com or Amazon

3 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds cute! Like lots of other folks, I'm on a vampire kick right now... I hadn't heard of this one, but I'm definitely going to look for it. I love the title, too! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really an awesome book after you read this book you need to read still sucks to be me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ramsee! Will add it to my wishlist, as I liked this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, as I really appreciated it! Leave me a link and I'll swing by to say hello!

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2014 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u